Senior Software Developer
HARDCORE ENOUGH TO ENGINEER A DATABASE?
Are you inspired by open source and an agile work environment?
We are looking for experienced engineers who will contribute to building a new breed of database: a distributed SQL database, aimed at Big Data, that is massively scalable and dead simple to use.
Our company was built in 2013 with the vision of developing a database which is great for users, developers and, most importantly, for back-end services that truly scale. Traditional databases don’t offer this; we’re building the solution!
As a software engineer at Crate.io you will work in small, agile teams and directly impact the future of the product. Our engineers need to be versatile and always eager to tackle new problems as we continue to push technology forward. We love what we do and are total geeks at heart. Our teams enjoy a great deal of freedom and love to take responsibility for the things they create, which is also supported by our company-wide use of Scrum.
If this sounds like the work environment you want to work in we’d love to hear from you!
We are a deep-tech, VC funded startup with offices in Dornbirn (Austria), Berlin, New York and San Francisco.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON A TYPICAL DAY
- You will write code at the heart of our next-gen, distributed database
- Test-driven development of high-performance code
- Benchmarks and performance optimizations
- Contribute to upstream projects
- Improve and maintain the tooling around our product lifecycle
- Problem solving with your epic and supportive team members
HOW YOU WILL GET THINGS DONE
- We use scrum to push our product forward
- You think out of the box and are able to find new, creative and if need be, unconventional solutions
- You will fail, make mistakes, and start again - that’s ok. It’s called learning.
- You are an awesome team player
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, (distributed) algorithms and software design
- Extensive professional (3yr+) experience as a developer
- Proficiency in Java, Python and/or other relevant technologies
- Experience with test driven development
- Fluent English
- Valid work permit for Germany
BROWNIE POINTS FOR
- Experience with asynchronous programming, Netty, Elasticsearch, Lucene, Big Data and Map Reduce (Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Pig), databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle etc.)
- Experience with scrum
- Open Source contributions (please send us your Github etc. Account details)
- Existing public appearances (meetups, conferences)
WHAT WE OFFER
- Market-based compensation
- Very flexible working hours
- Possibility to work on fun projects as part of your work
- Working in a young, dynamic and international team
- The opportunity to become part of one of the most exciting startups in the IT scene
We look forward to hearing from you!